Instructor: Brenna Dixon
Yinfei Liu
May 19th 2010Map Assignment
What aspects of the place does your map capture? What's left out? Why? Would you represent it differently? If so, how?
The map I find is the campus map of Iowa State University printed on the Cyride Bus Route Map. It basically captures the sight aspect which is one of the five major ways to create a map. Rest of them are smell, sound, touch and taste. The map appropriately indicates 6 different bus routes on campus by presenting them by different colors. At the same time all buildings are colored black with a name listed. There are also lake, river and railway on the map.
However, I believe some additional factors could be added to the map. For example, the campus should be divided to different functional areas since most people who read the map are not familiar with the campus. A highlight in dining area and living area will be helpful for new students. Meanwhile, admission departments and major libraries should also be marked smartly because it will help visitors. If I get a chance to represent the map, I would give dining area, living area and public services area various colors instead of drawing them all in black. If the cost can be covered, I would also suggest make the map touchable which means people who can not see a map could use his or her hand to get their ways.

No comments:
Post a Comment